Friday 27 September 2013

Art is what I do for me, design is what I do for you


Art is what I do for me, Design is what I do for you.  I'm not sure who said it but I think that's a pretty useful statement in seperating art from design.  Works for craft too; maybe stated as Art is what I do for fun, Craft is what I do for money.  

Musician Will Sergeant is trying to raise the money to put out his latest album of electronic music. It isn't going to be a big seller. You could call it a vanity project.  You could say he isn't doing it for the money, he is doing it because he wants too, has a need to, has an uncontrollable urge to do.  here's what he has to say:

Glide is an occasional project of mine I visit when the mood takes me, It is an unashamed self indulgent venture. I see nothing wrong with being self indulgent. In my view all art of any worth is built on self indulgence. From the first stroke of a brush, word of literature, note of an instrument or strike of the chisel against the cold stone or wood. The only person that a true artist should be aiming to please should be himself. If you start worrying about what the people may say about the work it is immediately compromised and is a dead duck. So I walk alone once more through electronic landscape for only one reason: I like it there.


I don't know who this is painting the wolf but part of the process seems to be having your photographer present.  Warhol said something about things not happening if they're not phtotographed.   I wonder if wolfpainter felt that uncontrollable urge to put a wolf on that wall right there, right now or if he was hoping to be "spotted", bought, signed up, possibly in order to design naff knitwear. 
You can't go far without seeing Stik-people, loveable little rogues that they are. There is something about their wise/foolish appearance that is both reassuring and totally unsettling.



Shoreditch is enriched by its street art.  In addition to the guerilla art there is some that is commissioned, some that is tolerated and some that the owners of buildings go to great lengths to eradicate.  There is one form of street art which is more pernicious: corporate street art - better known as advertising hoardings
The tower blocks are the fuel cells of capitalism and we’re putting our mark on them – which is something quite radical whatever school of graffiti you come from. It’s an act of defiance – a mark of your own existence. People get sick of adverts but it’s very hard to challenge multinational companies so street artists and graffiti artists get the rap. Adverts are exactly the same as tagging – except with their own lighting rig. Advertising is corporate graffiti: every day our line of vision is being bought and sold by companies. But street artists like me just go out and take that space – we’re like the pirates of the high seas plundering their trade. And often we do it better.   STIK
from sabotagetimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment