Sunday 27 April 2014

you are loved


The view from the Itchen Bridge in Hampshire.  The cranes on the left featured in the tv programme Don't Look Down.  The graffiti on the bridge reading "you are loved" may be by Korupt.  
 
A few miles away at Thornhill there's a housing estate. Despite being in the affluent South East of the UK it registers high on indicators of deprivation.  There has been an attempt in recent years to improve things. 

 

One of the ways that Those Who Know Best have decided will most help is a series of posts reminding the locals of the Seven Deadly Virtues.  Imagine waking up every day and looking out of your window and seeing a post with the word "Temperance" on it.  I'm sure it would influence your world view.  Although I'm not sure it would influence it in the direction Those Who Know Best intended.


Temperance is essential, if the services of men and women are to be employed to the best and most useful effect according, to the physical capacity and ability of each. Nothing less will assure a total effort.
William Lyon Mackenzie King
 

Prudence is a rich, ugly old maid courted by incapacity
William Blake
 
Justice is truth in action.
Disraeli

Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor on the chin at night sneaky with a knife brought up down on the magazine of a battleship sandbagged underhanded in the dark without a word of warning. Garroting. That's what justice is.

Joseph Heller



Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude.
Michelle Obama


Because I gotta have faith
George Michael

 
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man
 Frederick Nietsche
 
 
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not money, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not money, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not money, it profiteth me nothing. Money suffereth long, and is kind; money envieth not; money vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. . . . And now
abideth faith, hope, money, these three; but the greatest of these is money.

I Corinthians xiii (adapted) 
George Orwell, Keep the Aspidistra Flying


A bright and new future for Thornhill

No comments:

Post a Comment