Friday 14 November 2014

Midge and My Dog Sighs - Together in Solitude exhibition




Lucky dip, reasons to be cheerful, artwork by Midge and My Dog Sighs

This evening Together in Solitude, an exhibition of collaborative art by Southsea artists Midge and My Dog Sighs, opened at the Coastguard gallery, Clarendon Road, Portsmouth.  Each piece is painted in acrylics on old, weathered sheet music paper and features a figure in Midge's distinctive style with a face by My Dog Sighs.  

Alice, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

In the run up to this exhibition most of this week's Corn Poppy posts have featured My Dog Sighs. However Together in Solitude is not a My Dog Sighs exhibition; it is very much a joint venture.  These pieces depend on both My Dog and Midge equally.   Most visual artists work alone (unlike musicians who like to play with each other).  To collaborate there needs to be a high level of trust - you really don't want someone mucking up your masterpiece.  But here we have two artists complementing each other's work, creating synergy, something that is more than the sum of its parts.  

Love's Young Dream, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

 A Soldier and a Man, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

Birds' Awakening, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

The third element, after Midge and My Dog, is the paper.  It is both  a backdrop to each painting but also the inspiration for each painting.  On another medium the paintings would be missing something.  Like this they are complete.

 Remembrance, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

 Akice, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

Cradle Song, Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014


Spot the artist.  Some of the best street artists around were present including a big showing from SSOVA who are going to be remembering Ben Naz this weekend (more on that later).


With such a selection on view how could you choose one, just one?  Well, sometimes something just stops you in your tracks.  It's like falling in love.  Hard to explain but you know it when it hits you.

Angels, ever Bright and Fair,  Midge & My Dog Sighs, 2014

It's this one.

The Exhibition is at Coastguard Studio, Clarendon Road http://bit.ly/11eaSPZ PO4 0BY until November 19th, open Saturday to Tuesday 10:00 until 6:00 and Wednesday 10:00 until 2:00.

And finally, thanks to The Agent . . .

 Free Art Friday, My Dog Sighs, 2014


4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! I purchased the angels print, by far the stand out piece in the whole collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic collaboration of two very excellent artists who in many years to come will be seen as very influential street artists - original and precise ....i bought the Angel print this morning from oop norf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link with us Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and this link to hookedblog . . .
      http://www.hookedblog.co.uk/2013/12/midge-my-dog-sighs-hit-london-with-new.html

      Delete